Bed bugs (aka Cimex lectularius) are small, parasitic insects about the size of “Lincoln’s head on a penny,” and though their sole diet is human and animal blood, they can actually survive for several months without eating, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Though bed bugs can travel more than 100 feet in a single night, they are ordinarily found within about eight feet of a person’s bed.
The pest control company, Orkin recently released the top 50 cities for bed bugs in 2016, that list follows:
2. Washington, D.C.
4. New York
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Los Angeles
10. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
11. Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
12. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
13. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio
15. Dallas-Ft. Worth
18. Buffalo, N.Y.
19. Charlotte, N.C.
20. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
21. Knoxville, Tenn.
23. Nashville, Tenn.
25. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.-Asheville, N.C.
27. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Mich.
30. Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.
31. Hartford-New Haven, Conn.
32. Dayton, Ohio
33. Omaha, Neb.
35. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
36. Charleston-Huntington, W.Va.
37. St. Louis
38. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Dubuque, Iowa
39. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
40. Syracuse, N.Y.
41. Louisville, Ky.
42. Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem, N.C.
43. Lexington, Ky.
44. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
45. Kansas City, Mo.
46. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
47. Salt Lake City, Utah
48. Honolulu, Hawaii
49. Las Vegas
50. Portland, Ore.
Orkin gives the following tips on identifying a bed bug infestation in your home:
–Seeing the bugs. Adult bed bugs are about the shape and size of an apple seed.
-Case skins. As the juvenile bugs grow, they shed their skins, discovery of which can indicate their presence.
-Defecation. After feeding, bed bugs return to their harborage to hide where they defecate black to brown stains on porous surfaces or black to brown mounds on nonporous surfaces.–Bites also may indicate bed bug activity, but further signs will need to be found, since other sources can cause red welts on the skin.